Facing problem with your Spotify Software? There are many users like you who get smashed with the Spotify Error Code 18 at the time of installation of Spotify. The problem mainly happens when you try to reinstall the application on your computer. Whenever the problem pops out it comes with an error message like:
“The installer is unable to install Spotify. The files need to write is already in use by another process. Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry”.
It’s confusing, right? Yes, we can understand. You must be thinking the application is not even installed then how could it be running already. Let’s talk about this,
During the installation process, the files are supposed to be copied over to your computer. For some reason, if it is already into your computer you must face this issue. Actually, the users having Spotify on their system previously are more likely to face the Spotify Error Code 18 at the time reinstallation. Are you one of them? Nevertheless, whether you had Spotify installed previously or this is the first time you are trying to install it and facing this error the article will surely help you to fix the issue.
You may also read: Epson error code 0xf1
How To Troubleshoot Spotify Error Code 18?
Well, as we have promised here is the solution to your Spotify Error Code 18. Try this one by one and your problem is supposed to be resolved.
Use Task Manager To End The Process
You can use the Task Manager from your Windows Computer to detect and remove any conflicting program that comes in between the Spotify installation process. Here are the steps you need to follow,
- Firstly, Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, it will launch the Task Manager.
- Now you must Navigate to the Processes tab.
- Then, Scroll through the list of processes currently running on your computer and locate any processes with “Spotify” in their name.
- If you are not able to find any such processes, this solution isn’t for you and you must move on to another one.
- If you do find any processes with Spotify name, what you have to do is right-click on each one by one, and click on End Process.
- Then, Click on End process in the resulting dialog to confirm the action.
- Finally, Run the Spotify installer and check if you are now able to successfully install Spotify on your computer.
If you are reinstalling the Spotify on your computer there might be some Spotify folder still present in your system. You must delete those folders to avoid the installation error Spotify Error Code 18.[/mks_one_half]
Remove The Spotify Folder From The AppData Directory
The problem is more likely to get removed after you successfully proceed with the following steps,
- At First, Press the Windows Logo key + R to open a Run dialog.
- Now, Type ‘appdata’ into the Run dialog and press Enter. This will open the AppData directory
- Then, you have to find the Spotify folder in the AppData directory
- After successfully getting the folder, right-click on it and click on Delete.
- Finally, in the resulting popup, click on Yes to confirm the action and delete the Spotify folder.
- After the confirmation just Restart your PC.
- When your computer boots up, try installing Spotify to see whether or not you’re still getting error code 18
Uninstall Any Interfering Programs
People face the Spotify Error Code 18 because of the presence of some interfering programs like iTunes and Comodo. Particularly these two programs cause the problem on many occasions. If you have installed any of the two uninstall them your problem might get fixed. Follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
- Firstly, Open the Start Menu.
- Then, Search for “add or remove programs“.
- Now, Click on the search result titled Add or remove programs.
- After that, Scroll down the list of programs installed on your computer, locate iTunes, Comodo or whatever other programs you think might be coming within the installation of Spotify.
- Now, right-click on it Click on the Uninstall button.
- Then, Go through the wizard to uninstall the program.
- After successfully uninstalling the program, restart your computer.
With some amazing features, Spotify is a great stage for the music lover. Whenever we face an annoying problem like this it is enough to disrupt our mood. Here we have discussed some workable fixes which you can work perfectly as the real-time assistance to your Spotify Error Code 18. But if somehow the steps above do not work for you or you have some different issue you must not hesitate to ping us. We would like to hear from you! Send your message through the comment box here.