Minecraft, a worldwide popular sandbox game that was developed from scratch by Manjong is an instant hit among then teenagers. This particular game got released for public access in the year 2011, and since then it turned out to be the most favorite within the entire gaming community. Today, it holds onto about 91 million active players, who have been logging in every other day to participate in the gameplay. Alternatively, many users have been recently reporting about experiencing common errors like ‘io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception’ as timed out, while trying the best to connect with the servers. This particular error happens in multiple servers, which makes it difficult to access the game whenever people are in the mood to use it.
Real causes of experiencing a server connection refused or lost type of error
From the numerous error reports that were collected from active Minecraft game players coming from all over the world, we did make a quick research to find out the exact solutions that can instantly solve the ‘o.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection timed out’ error. We did look into the exact reasons that triggered the error to happen in the first place. Following is a list of reasons that can showcase random connection refused type of error while indulging in the gameplay.
Mostly the server lost or refused error arises out of accessing the wrong port or IP address that gets listed when you try to connect with the server to start playing Minecraft from your personal computer or laptop. By properly utilizing the port and IP address, your existing connection shall be rightly forwarded towards the server. This action shall instantly get completed as the server is about to accept the request in less than a few seconds. The ISP assigned IP address tends to change once in a while, and might even get allocated to more than once, which is the root cause of creating ‘io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception’ related errors. Therefore, it is a must to manually enter your internet connection IP address to bypass the errors from happening again.
Firewall blocking the Minecraft files:
The default Firewall option in Windows usually gets activated automatically and can block the active connection that is being sent out frequently to contact the server. You must add the entire game directory and the co-related Java files to the default Windows Firewall’s exclusion list to properly connect with the server any part of the day.
Using outdated Java:
If you are using an outdated Java software version, then it might be one among the strong reason to cause multiple conflicts while trying to connect with the server, results in showcasing errors like ‘io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection refused’. Download and update the recently released Java versions to let Minecraft game run seamlessly on your computer system.
Having incompatible software:
Minecraft does hold onto a software list that might not be compatible with them and end up causing issues if at all they are said to be installed on your computer. Visit the official web portal of Minecraft to go through the software list that is not said to be compatible with the entire gameplay window and can cause multiple conflicts as well.
Possible solutions to get rid of io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexceptionerrors
Now, you must have understood the root causes behind experiencing server issues. Before going through the solutions list, we recommend you to restart your Windows 7 or 10 running PC or laptop, and then launch the Minecraft game-play to check if the problem still exists. If at all restarting the computer doesn’t solve the connection timed-out or lost problem, then start following the below-list of solutions one after another.
Following is a set of solutions that you must try in the mentioned order to ensure no type of server timed out conflict happens in the future and to channeling Minecraft at your convenience as well.
Resetting the Internet connection
By resetting your internet router, a new IP address shall get generated and supplied to the servers, unless you have been making use of a static type of IP address to access the internet. Follow the upcoming steps to reinitialize both DNS cache and the internet settings by power cycling your Internet Router.
- Disconnect the active power supply to your internet router.
- Wait for about five minutes or more and then reconnect it to the power cord
- Once the router permits the much-needed internet access and starts connecting back to the minecraft.io servers, the ‘io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection timed out’ problem shall get solved.
Adding an exception with Windows Firewall
You need to manually add an exception for certain files that are widely accessed by the servers to run the Minecraft gameplay. To do so,
- Make a left-click from your computer system connected mouse on the ‘Start’ menu and then navigate to the ‘Settings’ icon.
- Click upon the option that says ‘Update & Security’
- Now, you need to click on the ‘Windows Security’ tab that can be found on the left panel.
- From the loaded ‘Windows Security’ section, make a left-click on ‘Firewall & Network Protection’.
- Scroll way down using the sidebar of the window and then select the option that says ‘Allow App through Firewall’.
- Click upon ‘Change Settings’, and then further choose ‘Yes’ if at all a warning prompt gets showcased.
- Select ‘Allow another app’ that can be found within the listed options and then click upon the ‘Browse’ button.
- Now, you need to navigate towards the original minecraft.io game installed directory to select the installed Minecraft servers
- Open up the ‘Maxwell’ folder, and select ‘MinecraftServer’ folder
- Now, you need to allow access to every other Java executables that can be found within the same folder as well
- Repeat this particular action without clicking the ‘Allow another app’, you need to select upon the ‘Change’ option and then scroll down to access available apps list
- Select ‘Java(TM) Platform SE Binary’ options from both the ‘Public’ and ‘Private’ networks.
After completing these steps, you need to start Minecraft and initiate a connection with the server to check if the ‘Minecraftio.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception’connection-related errors persist or not.
Manually entering Port and IP address
If at all the internet IP address that you have been regularly using to access the internet is not said to be static, then it might change automatically change once in a while or every other time the Internet router’s power supply is turned on. Follow the upcoming step-wise guidance to check with the port and IP address that are about to be used to access the minecraft.io gameplay and then add them within the Minecraft Launcher window as well.
- From the existing Windows toolbar, select the ‘Search’ bar, and type ‘Command Prompt’ in it
- The results shall automatically load up, from which you need to make a right-click upon the ‘Command Prompt’ icon to load a drop-down list
- Select the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the loaded list.
- A new Command Prompt window shall load up
- Now, you need to type ‘ipconfig’ within the newly loaded command prompt window and press the ‘Enter’ button from the connected keyboard.
- Take a note of the ‘IPv4 Address’.
- Open up ‘Minecraft Servers’ folder, select ‘Maxwell’, navigate to ‘MinecraftServer’ and then make a double-click on the ‘Server Properties’ text file.
- You need to check and note down the exact ‘Server Port value’ that can be found on the ‘Server Properties’ file
- Server Port values will be mentioned in numerical values like ‘25565’
- After writing down these values, launch minecraft.io and then navigate towards the ‘Play Multiplayer’ section
- Select any one server from the provided list, and then click upon the ‘Edit’ option that can be found on the bottom part of the window.
- You can enter down the ‘Server Name’ as per your wish, yet, the Address must be the same IPV4 address, which you have previously taken note of, along with the numerical port number values.
- Once you have entered the right IP address and Port numbers, click upon the ‘Done’ button
Now ‘Refresh’ the window to start Minecraft channeling as per your wish without having to face any kind of server connectivity related errors.
Connection refused type of error shall prevent a Windows system user from accessing and playing their favorite Minecraft games. The above-mentioned solutions can be vitally used to solve both these common server connection-related errors,
- io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection timed out
- io.netty.channel.abstractchannel$annotatedconnectexception connection refused