Virtual Private Network mostly known as VPN is a technology which allows you to use a public internet connection through a secure tunnel. It creates a connection between your device and the network. This is the best way to protect your data from other users or third-party apps. At the same time, it hides your device’s IP address and location. Useful, isn’t it? Well, now let’s move on to How to Setup A VPN.
What are VPNs Used for?-How to Setup VPN
Sometimes you don’t get permission to use or browse through contents from different countries. Also, consumer VPN services allow you to surf privately from your workplace or home. Employees use VPN to securely connect to a corporate network remotely.
There are many VPN software available for all kind of devices such as TunnelBear, OpenVPN client or Cisco AnyConnect. You can use Microsoft’s built-in VPN client. This supports VPN protocol, unlike the IKEv2 VPN.
But there is a downside of using built-in VPN; you have to select a specific server to use. But other commercial VPN services let you jumping through different locations whenever you want.
Step By Step Method: How to Setup VPN in Windows 10
Now, follow these steps for a hassle-free VPN setup:
- Open the search bar pressing the windows key and type VPN
- Go to Network & Internet > VPN
- Alternatively, you can choose the Change virtual private networks (VPN) option
- Click on Add a VPN connection from the top of the VPN screen
- A screen will appear on your monitor where you need to enter your VPN connection information
- Under the VPN provider option, a drop-down menu can be seen; click on it.
- Now select Windows Built-in
- The process will change your VPN type to automatic and the Type of sign in Info to username and password.
- Next, fill out the connection name, similarly, do the Server Name and Address
- Scroll down to find the space where you can enter your username and password for the VPN. Once you enter all the correct info, click the Save button and close the settings app.
- Now click the WIFI icon from the system tray of your Windows taskbar. Now select your newly created VPN connection.
- The option should be at the top of the list
- Now the VPN will be connected automatically
Also Read: Modern Setup Host
Step-By-Step Method: How to Setup VPN For Windows 7 Computer
For Windows 7 users:
- Press the Windows button and type VPN in the search box
- Here select the Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection option
- Enter the IP address or domain name of the server that you want to connect
- If you want to set up a connection without connecting, select Don’t connect now the next choice should be leaving blank and clicking Next
- Either put your username and password or leave it blank
- Click Connect
- In the Connect VPN Connection box, enter the right domain and your login credentials
- Click Connect
Here go the steps for How to Setup VPN, however, if you still need help, please let us know in the comment box below.