Cortana is digital assistance for Windows 10 computers. Apart from searching for the best results, it can display notification, send emails, set reminders just by using your voice. But if you find it is taking your personal information, you learn How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10. I have provided an easy guide here so that you can perform the task smoothly.
Before you could turn off Cortana with a single toggle before the Windows 10 anniversary update. But that is no longer possible. According to reports, the only way to disable it is by a clean install.
Prevent Cortana From Knowing You on Windows 10
If you think that Cortana is gathering your personal info to serve you, you can prevent it from doing so. I’m telling you the process below in case you find them impressive.
- Click on the search box or click on the Cortana icon beside the Start key
- Tap on the gear icon to open Cortana’s settings panel
- In the settings, you have to turn off every toggle from ON to OFF
- Next, you have to scroll to the very top of the control panel and then click on “Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud”
- Now in the same panel, Microsoft will fetch a page from the internet that is Personal Information
- After it stops loading, scroll to the end of the page and hit Clear
Cortana collects your data about typing and talking, and if you would like to turn that off as well, follow these steps-
- Hit the Start button
- Then click on the settings gear icon and select Privacy
- From the left panel, search for the Speech, inking & typing
- Then you have to click on Stop getting to know me
This process will also turn off the dictation across Windows 10 laptop, but if you do not want it to, then follow the below process.
Also read: How to Enable Macros in Excel
How to Disable Cortana Completely
The process I have mentioned in this section will disable Cortana completely from your Windows 10 pro laptop.
- Search for Edit group policy in your computer’s search bar
- Open the result then go to the path Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Then you have to find Allow Cortana option to double-click on it
- Click Disabled and then hit OK
How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
This process will require editing Windows registry if you are confused about it, take a back up first.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue box
- Type regedit and hit enter to find and open regedit
- Click the Yes button as pop window flashes
- Then navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows path
- You have to right-click on the Windows directory and choose New > Key then type Windows Search and hit Enter
- Select Windows Search and right-click on the empty area from the right-hand side pane
- Choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and enter AllowCortana then double-click it
- Type 0 under the data value.
Now if you restart your computer, the Cortana should be gone and you can see “Search Windows” in the search box.