CompatTelRunner is an essential component of the Windows 10 operating system. But at times it causes high CPU usage due to which the Windows 10 users find their PCs lagging and getting slowed down. Are you facing a similar issue? Then, you must check out our takes on fixing the problem.
What is CompatTelRunner?
CompatTelRunner.exe is a Windows Compatibility Telemetry. The process runs in the background and sends usage and performance data to Microsoft IP address. Microsoft uses this data to improve the user experience and fix potential errors on your Windows computer.
Basically, CompatTelRunner.exe is used to upgrade to your system to the latest version and ensure some other important service pack upgrades. Generally, CompatTelRunner does not cause any problem in your system.
But if you are facing an error like high CPU usage on your PC because of CompatTelRunner then, you can disable the program. There are specific ways following which you can disable the program. Here we have shared all the details which will help you to fix high CPU usage on your computer.
How to disable CompatTelRunner.exe?
If you want to disable CompatTelRunner program from your computer system then you can simply follow the steps mentioned below.
Method 1- Deactivate the CompatTelRunner Service from Task Scheduler
Press Windows Logo Key + R button on your keyboard to launch the Run dialog box
- Then type taskschd.msc in the run box and press enter
- Now, on the left side of the Window opened, expand Task Scheduler Library> Microsoft> Windows
- Then, locate Application Experience and click on it
- Now, right-click on Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and select the Disable option
- Finally, the CompatTelRunner is disabled on your computer, restart the PC to save the changes
Method 2- Delete the Service as Administrator
If you think that you don’t need this service you can simply delete CompatTelRunner from your system. It will not cause any problem as such. Meanwhile deleting the service will fix the high CPU usage issue on your computer. So, follow the steps below to delete CompatTelRunner from the PC.
- Firstly, log in to your computer as an administrator
- Now, press the Windows Logo key+ R to start the run dialog box
- Then type C:\Windows\System32 and press enter
- In the folder, you will find CompatTelRunner.exe right click on that and choose the properties option.
- Now click on the Security tab click on the Advanced button.
- Then go to the Owner tab and choose the edit option
- Here you can choose the owner as Administrators. Click on Administrators and then Select Apply and click OK to save it
- When prompted close all the Properties window and Select OK to proceed further
- Now, you need to right-click on the folder named ‘exe’ and Open properties
- Then, open the Security tab click on the Advanced button again.
- Click on the Permissions tab and select the account you have been using on your computer
- Now click on Edit
- Select the user account you are using and check the box next to Full Control and click OK to save changes
- Finally, you have full control over the folders and you can easily delete CompatTelRunner program folder.
After completing, restart your computer and check if the problem has resolved or not.
Method 3- Remove KB2952664 to Resolve CompatTelRunner 100% CPU Usage
Here is one more way how you can disable CompatTelRunner.exe. You can remove the KB2952664 in the windows update. Follow the steps below to remove KB2952664.
At first, Press Windows Key and type cmd to search Command Prompt on your PC
Now, right-click on Command Prompt and Select Run as Administrator option
Check if the High CPU Error is gone
Disabling CompatTelRunner is very easy and simple. It certainly takes up too much space of your disk or CPU. Yet, you can follow the above methods to deactivate the tool permanently.