Error 0x80004005 on Windows Operating System is age-old. Be it the Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8 and now even on Windows 10 the Windows unspecified error 0x80004005 is undetachable. Are you facing the same on your Windows Computer? Though the exact reasons behind this annoying issue are pretty hard to find still, somehow we managed to figure it out. Here we have jotted down all the specific reasons that cause Windows unspecified error. Moreover, you will get some essential solutions as well.
Coming through the years Microsoft has done exceedingly well to beat its competitors and remain at the top with the Windows Operating system. Though a lot of things is been changed from where they started but still it lags in certain aspects. Windows Operating System always stays in the news for its good work along with these never-ending issues.
What Are The Causes Behind Windows Error 0x80004005?
The Error 0x80004005 is said to be an unspecified error. The problem usually happens when users are not able to access some Shared Folders, Drivers, Virtual Machines even when Windows fails to update. Along with this conflict with an antivirus, corrupted system files, a mismatch in the registry entries also lead to the error.
Windows Unspecified Error 0x80004005 – Easy Fixes
Following are some tried and tested fixes which can help you to fix the error.
Uninstall Microsoft 6to4 Devices
Uninstalling Microsoft 6to4 devices is the first step you should go for to fix error 0x80004005 on your Windows Computer. Follow the steps below to uninstall Microsoft 6to4
- At first, On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key + R key together to open the Run box.
- Then Type devmgmt.msc in the box and press Enter it will open the Device Manager.
- Now, On the Device Manager window, double-click Network adapters. After that click View to select on Show hidden devices.
- Then Locate all the device with the name Microsoft 6to4 and right-click on each of them and choose Uninstall.
- After complete uninstallation of all the Microsoft 6to4 device, you need to restart your computer.
After the uninstallation, if you still facing the problem there are some other fixes you can try.
Run Windows System File Checker
You can fix the system files to resolve the problem. Follow the steps given below to Run SFC Scannow
- Firstly, Open the Command prompt Press the Windows Key from the Keyboard
- Then, Type cmd and right click on the ‘Command Prompt’
- Now Click on Run as Administrator
- Click Yes
- Then Type SFC /SCANNOW and hit the Enter button
- Now you need to wait a few minutes to complete the process
- Finally, Restart your PC
Repair The Installation Of Windows
To resolve the Windows Unspecified Error 0x80004005 you can repair the installation of Windows. Go with the steps below it will fix the issue.
- At first, insert the Windows CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive of your computer.
- Then, Restart your computer for once.
- Now at the time starting the computer you will be prompted to press a key to enter the boot menu.
Press any key to start from CD
Note: Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive.
- After that, When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console. This part of the Setup program prepares Windows to run on your computer.
- You see a numbered option, such as the following:
Note: this path to Windows (In this example, the path is C:\WINDOWS) for later user in step 7 and step 11. Then, press 1 to access your primary drive installation by using the Recovery Console.
- When you are asked, type the administrator password. If you do not have an administrator password, just press the ENTER.
- Type cd C:\WINDOWS\System32, and then press ENTER again.
Note: In this command, use the path that you noted in step 5 if it differs from C:\WINDOWS.
- Now, Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do this, type REN File_Name.extensionFile_Name.old at the command prompt.
Note This file is located in the following subfolder:
Note In the previous command, you have to replace File_Name.extension with the file name from the list of files in this step. In addition to that, File_Name.old represents the new name for the file name. For example, use the following command for the Wpa.dbl file:
REN Wpa.dbl Wpa.OLD
- Type the drive letter of the CD drive together with a colon, and then press ENTER. For example, you type D:, and then press ENTER.
- Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
- Type the following commands individually. Press ENTER after each command:
- Expand licwmi.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
- Expand regwizc.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
- Expand licdll.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
- Expand wpabaln.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
- Expand wpa.db_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
- Expand actshell.ht_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
- Copy pidgen.dll C:\WINDOWS\System32
Note In these commands, use the path that you noted in step 5 if it differs from C:\WINDOWS.
- Finally, Type Exit, and then press ENTER to restart the computer.
Anyway, That’s all from our end. The last solution can be tricky for you. If you are not tech savvy and do not feel confident enough you must seek experts help. For any queries, put your questions here in the comment box. To get the solution to other issues, go through our other posts.